Wednesday, September 6, 2017

week 2 structures and contrasts

This set of photos is a compilation over time.  Today is not ideal to shoot because of the rain however, I still managed to get some great shots of things I found interesting.

The first few photos are from my trip to the Historic Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles California. These are photos of the ceilings and fountains in the hotel.  Perfect examples of detailed structures.  The next set are of the St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City shortly after the visit from the Pope.  I loved the architectural lines.  The lighting inside is very limited so I did what I could to get as much of the detail as close as I could without zooming in. There are photos of the grapes from the vineyard that I loved to shoot.  For me there are not only the details of the individual grapes but the veins in the leaves, the stems and the branches.  I was able to take a great photo of my horrible rim on my car.  I felt the rain water and the cloudy light made for great contrast in the grays.  The photo of the fire hydrant was vibrant on this rainy day.  I am trying to learn how to capture round objects in a square frame a bit more closely.  There was also the photo of iron bars outside of the window at my aunts place was a neat capture of lines.  There are the vertical lines of the bars but also the horizontal lines of the bricks. I am actually enjoying this assignment and would like to post more of actual structures in the city when the weather permits.  I just wanted to make sure I had something just in case the weather does not let up this week with the impending storm.  The second to last photo is also of one of the ceilings in the Biltmore however the quality is not to par.  Being short and the ceilings so high make it difficult to capture without full zoom.  The last photo is of the Cathedral inside during mass. The one before it is a cropped and edited version perhaps not the best so I included the original to see which was the best version.  I like the original the most its brighter and more lively.
















7 comments:

  1. Natasha,
    The pictures you captured are divine, the water fountain makes me think of a wedding.the cathedral is just beautiful would you happen to know design this and when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celeste,

    Thank you for your comments, the fountain is quite beautiful however, the lighting they have it under is horrible. It is very difficult to capture its true beauty at any time of day because of where its located. the walls in that room have no windows only the lobby doors so is not easy. As for St. Patrick's Cathedral my Google search led me to the architects name which is named James Renwick opened to the public in 1879 but the building began in 1858. Hope that helps. It is beautiful inside, free of charge to attend a mass or just go in and take photos they do accept donations but it is not required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, some of the work that was done back then amazes me,like what tools were used and how many people it took for them to finish the project,where people killed....etc. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Natasha,

    I particularly like the way you tilted the camera up to capture the ceiling of St. Patrick's... All in all a good series. I do want you to shoot new work just for this class though. We will have clear, excellent weather for the week-end starting tomorrow morning. The shot of your tire and the yellow "corey" object show me that you are thinking visually and carefully framing your shot... and are sensitive to how light is working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love these pictures. They all look so rich and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Natasha,

    I really enjoyed your photo series. Love the shots from the vineyard!! I also love your second shot, it definitely grasps this weeks assignment.

    -Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these photos especially the St. Patrick's. It reminds me of something royal. I like that there is enough lighting that you are able to see some detail. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete