Thursday, September 14, 2017

Hello fellow classmates,























This series is one of my favorites.  I love the beach and the sense of peace it brings me even though I can't swim.  The sheer irony of being an Aquarius and loving water and not knowing how to swim is quite sad lol!  I am uploading several photos.  I hope you all don't mind.  I know the class calls for 7-10 but I LOVE photography and I fully immerse myself in it.  This is part 1 of a 2 part series taken at Long Wharf in New Haven.  These are just some photos I have edited and utilized different filters and angles.  I did not edit all of them some of these are raw, some of them are taken in mono and some in noir.  I went during low tide to capture the aftermath of what the sea leaves behind. There was a man made structure built there by a family visiting.  I loved it.   They were happy that I took photos of it and asked me to take some with their cameras and I enjoyed getting to use a Nikon, a Cannon and my iPhone for these.  They were a family visiting their children who are students at Yale so I got super lucky.  Some of these are images they sent me that I took with their cameras!  How nice is that?!.  I got to do something I love and make new friends.  (Thank you to Mr and Mrs Lin for allowing me to use your fantastic cameras and sending the images as promised and I hope they enjoyed the ones I edited and sent to them). Enjoy series 1 series 2 coming shortly after as well from Silver Sands in Branford if my friends are home this weekend to allow me on the property.  If not I hope these are acceptable entries for this week's class.  P.S. The photos taken at water level I actually did put my phone in the water to capture.  I had to lay it there to do so, it is water resistant and in an Otter Box so that is extremely helpful.  

12 comments:

  1. Hi Natasha,
    Your photos are beautiful! And I totally agree with you, this has been my favorite series to do so far too. That's so cool that you got to take pictures with your phone. The ones taken at water level are actually my favorite ones! Good job!
    -Gaby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaby,

      I use my phone particularly for water shots since it's water resistant. I have been borrowing my coworkers camera but I wouldn't dare try to get it near water. I do plan to buy my own, however, borrowing allows me to test out which ones I like the best to narrow down and commit.

      Delete
  2. Hi Natasha, I'm happy you had good experience with this weeks assignments. I like the way you think outside the box and capture things that others wouldn't think of. I like the second to last one. The lighting is perfect and not overbearing where you can't see the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yanisha,
      I tend to shoot all kinds of things when I go out. I then go home and sift through all the images and choose the ones I think came out best. I take more photos than I should but it helps to have a variety. Take pics of rocks, plants, buildings you will surprise yourself when you get home and see the treasures you have hidden in them!

      Delete
  3. Hi Natasha,
    I really like the images you were able to capture. I also like how you decided to edit some images and keep the original ones. My favorite image is the fifth one from the bottom. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alyssa,

      I tend to always create 2 versions of every photo. One in color and one in B & W this way you can always have a timeless version and one that is more real and in the moment.

      Delete
  4. Hi Natasha, you capture such amazing photos, these are stunning and you definitely have a creative side especially for editing. Your lighting and all are just amazing. I envy how creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      I give all credit to my friend Zack who downloaded Photoshop and Lightroom. This is the first time in my life that I have actually utilized an of this software. When I'm not posting here or taking the photos I am actually using YouTube to watch tutorials. It's a lot of work but once you learn it, you won't forget it and it becomes second nature. We can meet up if you like. Email me or get my number from Sabrina and send me a text, bring your camera and we can go out for an hour or two.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Natasha. I love that you really got into this assignment and had a great time with it. I also love the story of your meeting Mr. and Mrs. Lin, and that they allowed you to use their cameras. With this series you are definitely showing me that you are able to pay attention to composition and light which is the foundation of all great photography.

    7 to 10 is generally considered my minimum amount adding in 24 here is just icing on the cake so congratulations.

    One's photography gets really good when the viewer can feel the passion of the photographer coupled with an understanding that they are really getting into it by moving and close, filling the frame, and looking for light.

    Some very beautiful DSLR cameras can be had on eBay for under one hundred dollars… It might be something to consider and I can help you with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Professor,

      Thank you! I thought we could only post 7-10 per week, glad to hear I an inundate the blog with what I consider art. I am very interested in getting my own camera. I have been borrowing my coworkers Nikon, and I think I am managing it well. The Canon took nice ones too, and it was simple to use, but if you can direct me I will look into them and see the cost and which I can save up for.

      Delete
  6. What an awesome place to take photos I work in that building and the view is absolutely amazing. I enjoy summer days there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika,

      We should meet up one day and shoot together before class ends and do a dual submission! I would be happy to schedule something if you would like.

      Delete