Sunday, September 10, 2017

Downtown New Haven

Hi Class! This was such a cool assignment...I always wanted to go downtown and really look at the architecture so this gave me a really different perspective on things. I know we are only supposed to post 2 of our best pics, but I really could not choose. I think I have some pretty descent shots and it was such a beautiful day. And if I did have to choose, my favorites would be the building reflection, the clock tower and the bench. ***So I actually went back and edited my photos and it really makes a difference. With the color photos I wanted the colors to pop. As for the black and white photos, the alleyway in particular I felt the black and white really enhanced the shadows casted on the steps and in the background. I also feel the black and white gives the bench photo character.***






Before

After

After
Before



Before

After

After

Before
















4 comments:

  1. Great Elise… You got into the spirit of the assignment very nicely. I'm so glad that you said you felt it was fun to actually go shooting downtown with your camera. Now actually I want you to post 6 to 10 pictures here not just 2. We used to use an online album to post the bulk of our work but I found that people were not seeing other people's photography and that is a critical part of the learning process. I have shifted to putting everything on the blog and that is working out much better.

    I appreciate your posting the before and after shots that shows me that you are working to edit your images and not just accept them as they come out of the camera. The shot of the stairs in the very small alleyway is interesting with strong leading lines and a clear vanishing perspective. The texture on the bench with the paper folded up his observant close and nice… The bright red pipe was made to pop even more with your after version and it's interesting to see the geometry of it in the context of the white stone building. I think my favorite one may be the self-portrait with shadow it's very complex despite the relative simplicity of it. And perhaps my least favorite is the last one the distant shot of Harkness Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your work with this assignment. My favorite images are the red pipe and bench. It was a nice touch to include the newspaper into the photo. That along with the black and white filter makes the photo come together nicely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Professor Nevins and Alyssa. I initially felt like I was thinking too hard about what to shoot. So to counter that I thought about things I would paint or draw. It seemed to help a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elyse,
    I love your alley way photo. Is that by Temple Street? I work down there and feel like I know this alley way. Your editing is great, the crisp lines in and lighting especially on the lamp post is great!

    ReplyDelete